@matthewlang on Micro.blog
14 Feb 2020
Ruby on Rails
Getting Started With System Tests in Rails With Minitest
- Good to see systems covered with Minitest instead of RSpec. I don’t have a preference, but I do like to see both test libraries covered with tutorials.
Understanding Rails secrets/credentials
- Like Jason, I find using the credentials feature in Rails can be frustrating as well. It’s trying to remember the commands using it. I rarely have to update my secrets file.
Building a Sumo Logic Dashboard for a Rails App on Heroku
- Additional graphs for your Rails app on Heroku and a starter to learn how to add more graphs in the future should you need too.
Using Rails’s Attributes API to serialize value objects
- I like the idea behind this. Certainly makes sense to extract some of the instatiation behaviour into a seperate class.
People & Practices
Mythical man month: 10 lines per developer day
- Lines of code is a poor measurement of anything, but this is interesting none the less. Also, I still haven’t read the book, Mythical Man Month.
- A self-hosted tool to monitor the performance of your Ruby on Rails application.
Firefox 73 is upon us
- Another update of the best browser there is.
Supercharge your command line experience: GitHub CLI is now in beta
- Despite having many aliases for using the command line, I see using GitHub’s CLI as a good thing. It standardises the commands that developers use for GitHub and makes pairing and such a lot easier.